St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, in Montgomery, Ohio, is a growing multicultural and multi-generational community that provides opportunities for worship, ministries and fellowship activities for all persons.
We are a community of encouragement with engaged, caring parishioners.
Our mission is to seek and encourage deeper relationships with God and our neighbors by following the commandments of Jesus Christ in our daily lives, especially through spirit-inspired ministries in our communities.
We are seeking a part-time youth minister. The youth minister will be responsible for inspiring and supporting the spiritual development of youth in middle and high school, providing leadership and oversight of youth activities and their Christian formation, from Sunday school to youth group to service opportunities.
A primary goal will be to develop and maintain meaningful relationships with St. Barnabas youth and their parents. The youth minister will work to recruit and retain youth and develop them into active church members.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a person of faith and committed to walking in the way of Jesus.
- Have an understanding of scripture and familiarity with the Episcopal Church.
- Demonstrate a desire to work with and develop relationships with youth and a willingness to develop healthy relationships with parents.
- Be committed to working well with others including the rector, staff, volunteers.
- Demonstrate good work ethics as a pursuit of excellence such as being conscientious, self-motivated, prompt, showing respect for others, etc…
- Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills especially comfortable speaking in front of a group.
- Be adept at communication via technology such as email, texts, social media, etc…
- Follow all Safe-guarding God’s Children guidelines and mandates.
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Youth ministry leadership preferred.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, in person or via Zoom, etc.
- Be present on Sundays for worship, coffee hour, and Sunday School (9 a.m. – Noon).
- Plan and facilitate approximately two youth meetings/activities per month (generally on Sunday afternoon/evenings).
- Provide pastoral care and emotional support to parish youth, including affirming our LGBTQ+ and non-binary youth.
- Work with adult volunteers and help coordinate their involvement in youth ministries.
- Encourage youth participation in worship and leadership in congregation.
- Facilitate opportunities for the youth to engage in community outreach, retreats, and a summer mission trip.
- Be responsible for communicating youth ministry activities and events through social media and the weekly parish newsletter.
Compensation & Hours:
This position is part time (10-12 hours per week). Starting salary is $18/hour. Sundays are required, other hours are flexible.
COVID-19 considerations: All staff are required to be fully vaccinated and may be required to wear masks around unvaccinated children.
This position requires a background check and completion of The Episcopal Church’s ‘Safeguarding God’s People Workshop’ on child abuse prevention. St. Barnabas will help to set up training and pay any necessary fees.
To apply, please contact Rev. Jane Gerdsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.