April 27, 2021
Dear friends in Christ,
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Here are a few quick updates on how we are working on understanding our diocesan health and planning for the rest of our transition time.
- We continue to work with Bishop Price, with gratitude, for the rest of the six-month contract with him. We give thanks for his care of our diocese.
- Standing Committee members are in the process of contacting all active clergy to check in.
- We have arranged for an outside counselor to meet confidentially with every member of diocesan staff so we can understand the extent to which Bishop Breidenthal’s alcoholism may have had an impact on staff, as well as to get a sense of the overall health of the work culture among staff.
- We are working on securing episcopal leadership for the remainder of our transition time.
- As we continue to meet weekly, we are preparing for our all-day planning session in late May.
Perhaps the big news of today is that we have made plans for diocesan listening sessions. These online sessions will offer clergy, diocesan leaders, and parishioners an opportunity to share your concerns and hopes at this moment in the life of our diocese.
We have engaged New Realm Consulting, led by the Rev. Canon Alissa Newton, to host the sessions. She and her team will lead the meetings and take notes during the conversations. They will then write a report for the Standing Committee. We will, in turn, make a thorough report to the whole diocese.
Please mark your calendar to attend a session during the “Week of Listening”
- Monday, May 10 at 7:00 p.m.: Active Priests
- Tuesday, May 11 at 7:00 p.m.: Deacons
- Wednesday, May 12 at 7:00 p.m.: General (parishioners, and anyone who can’t attend another session)
- Thursday, May 13 at 7:00 p.m.: Retired Clergy
- Friday, May 14 at 7:00 p.m.: Lay Leaders (Vestries, Diocesan Council, diocesan committees)
- Saturday, May 15 at 11:00 a.m..: Active Priests
- Saturday, May 15 at 2:00 p.m.: General (parishioners, and anyone who can’t attend another session)
Next week we will share details about registration for these meetings.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we are aware of many challenges in our diocese, we are also filled with hope. It is Eastertide, after all, when we celebrate our new creation in Jesus Christ.
Almighty and everlasting God, who in the Paschal mystery established the new covenant of reconciliation: Grant that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ’s Body may show forth in their lives what they profess by their faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The Standing Committee
Mr. Larry Hayes, president
The Rev. Philip DeVaul, vice-president
Dr. James Allsop
The Rev. Dr. Ellen Cook
Mr. Barry Feist
The Rev. Canon Scott Gunn